(Phil 4:6 GW) Never worry about anything. But in every situation let God know what you need in prayers and requests while giving thanks.
This morning we take a break from our Proverbs series to share a message about prayer, because today is the National Day of Prayer. Dr. Myles Munroe said, “Almost everyone claims to do it, but most don’t understand it. Even those that claim to practice it religiously are often confused about HOW it WORKS. What I am talking about is PRAYER. And most believers don’t have a working understanding of it. They know they are supposed to do it, but they don’t understand how. So they just do what they have heard, whether it works or not, and because of this lack of understanding, many have become frustrated!” Understanding prayer is important because you will never maximize what you do not understand! I won’t be able to teach a comprehensive lesson on prayer in one day, but I can give you a few quick nuggets on prayer.
What is prayer?
- Prayer is agreeing with God.
- Prayer is earthly license for heavenly interference.
- Prayer is man exercising his legal authority in the earth to invoke heaven’s influence on the planet.
- Prayer is the creation getting the Creator involved in any given situation.
Almost every action taken by God, on earth, involved the involvement/cooperation of a human being.
- When God wanted to start a nation, it was Abraham that cooperated with Him.
- When God wanted to rescue the people of Israel from Egypt, it was Moses who cooperated with Him.
- When God wanted to bring His people back from captivity, it was Daniel that cooperated with Him.
- When God wanted to build His house, His temple, it was Solomon that cooperated with Him.
- When God wanted to preserve His people, it was Esther that cooperated with Him.
- When God wanted to start His New Testament church and reach the Jews (first), it was Peter that cooperated with Him.
- When God wanted to reach the Gentiles, it was Paul that cooperated with Him.
John Wesley once said, “God does nothing, but in answer to prayer!” The point is that without God we cannot, but without man He will not. Not that He can’t, but that He won’t. He has chosen to limit Himself to operate in the earth through the cooperation of man.
When Jesus’ disciples asked Him to teach them to pray, He said, “This, then, is how you should pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven” (Mat 6:9,10 NIV).
- Prayer brings heaven down to earth.
- Prayer is the connection between the spirit realm and the earthly realm.
- His will is done, on earth, as it is in heaven, when we pray!
So what does this mean to you today? It means that Prayer is God’s idea, not some man-made theory. The Father instituted prayer, because it is part of His system. We need Him and He needs us. When we prayer we initiate cooperation with Him, so that He can operate in our lives and in the earth.
Closing Confession: Father, I repent for not taking the time, in the past, to learn about prayer. I see now how important prayer is to me, my family, my community, and the world. I have always known that I need You, but today I have learned – clearly – that You need me. I declare, by faith, that I will develop a prayer life that agrees and cooperates with You on a daily basis. You and I Lord, together, we shall make a difference. I have always relied on You, but today, I say, by faith, that You can rely on me to pray, intercede, stand in the gap, and release Your power in the earth, like never before! I will pray today, along with my brothers and sisters in Christ all over the United States, to intercede for our nation and to believe You for the manifestation of Your glory all over our country! In Jesus’ name. Amen!
This is Today’s Word! Apply it and Prosper!