Today we continue our series entitled, “Back to the Bible,” with Part 50. We have been looking at Psalm 119. Let’s continue to walk through this amazing psalm. Today we will look at verse 169 in three different translations.
Passion Bible Translation
(v.169) Lord, listen to my prayer. It’s like a sacrifice I bring to you; I must have more revelation of your word!
New International Version
(v.169) May my cry come before you, Lord; give me understanding according to your word.
Easy to Read Version
(v.169) Lord, listen to my cry for help. Make me wise, as you promised.
So what does this mean to you today? A few things.
- When you read Psalm 119:169 from several translations, the point you get from the verse is that David truly wanted to have an understanding of God’s Word. He knew this understanding could not come by human intellect. The Word of God is a spiritual book that requires spiritual understanding. The hidden truths in the Bible must be revealed by the author, the Holy Spirit. David wanted this revelation because he knew it would make him wise. What was true for David is true for us today. Ask God to open your eyes so you can truly SEE the truth hidden in His Word.
- When you read the Word of God you first attempt to understand it with your mind. There are many truths available on the “surface” of God’s Word that benefit us for daily living, even if only from a human point of view. But there are layers and layers of revelation to God’s Word. There are truths that cannot be accessed with a surface-level understanding. There are golden nuggets that must be “mined” for, because they lay below the surface. This is what David wanted. He wanted to read what God said, but to then also HEAR what God was saying through it. He wanted insight, revelation and spiritual understanding, because he wanted to be wise in God’s eyes. David’s desire should be our desire. We should all want to get past the surface in order to access the hidden wisdom in God’s Word. Once we do, God’s truth will empower us to make an impact in this world that is supernatural, an impact you could never make without God Himself. This is the way we are supposed to live. Our life should testify of God’s power. People should come in contact with us and know that they just encountered something/someone that is beyond this world!
- David prayed for understanding. He cried out for revelation. He did not want to live his life with just human wisdom. We should have the same desire. There is an understanding available TO US that is BEYOND US and we should not live without it. Without divine insight we are mere humans, looking at situations and dealing with people from simply a human point of view. Jesus did not die so we could be mere humans. He died so we could live like Him — like humans who are hearing from heaven daily and unleashing heaven on the earth everywhere we go. This is the life we are supposed to live.
- When you receive insight and revelation from God, you are able to operate in a level of wisdom beyond your years and experience. I’m a witness. God’s anointing on your mind will grace you to have the answers when no one else does. People will come to you, you will know what to say and how to say it, and you will then be in position to glorify God. You will be able to tell people that it is really NOT you. It is the Father, living in you… He gives you the words and He performs the work.
- If you are not hearing from God you don’t know what to do, what to say or how to live. Reading the Bible is great, but hearing from God as you do — so the Holy Spirit can give you the insight required to actually apply what God’s Word says — is paramount. Cry out to God like David did. Ask God for revelation, insight, wisdom and understanding. You need it in order to live as the man/woman you were called to be. Without it you are living your life like everyone else on this planet, living as a mere human. This is beneath God’s best.
Father, this is a season of expectation for me. I expect to hear from You. I expect to receive divine insight from the Holy Spirit. I read what You said and I expect to hear what You are saying through it. I open my heart daily and I expect to receive DOWNLOADS from heaven. I am the conduit for heaven-on-earth. Your Kingdom has come. Your will shall be done, on earth, as it is in heaven, through me! You give me insight, wisdom, revelation, knowledge and understanding that is beyond me. I am a human, but I have God inside of me. This makes me a human conduit of the divine and I unleash the divine daily! I declare this by faith. In Jesus’ name, Amen!
This is Today’s Word. Apply it and prosper!