This morning we continue our series entitled, “Refined Focus”, with a mini-series within it entitled “Focusing on the Word”. We have been taking our time as we walked through the first half of the first psalm. Last Friday we got to the last line. Today we will go back to same line with a message about our Good, Good Father. The Bible says:
(Psalm 1:1-3 KJV) “Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.”
(Psalm 1:1-3 ERV) “Great blessings belong to those who don’t listen to evil advice, who don’t live like sinners, and who don’t join those who make fun of God. Instead, they love the Lord’s teachings and think about them day and night. So they grow strong, like a tree planted by a stream—a tree that produces fruit when it should and has leaves that never fall. Everything they do is successful.”
Chris Tomlin has a song entitled, “Good, Good Father”. This song played in my mind as I prayed over this last line — everything they do is successful — this morning. In the song Tomlin sings ABOUT God, but he also sings TO God. While signing TO God Tomlin says, “You’re a Good, Good Father. It’s who You are, it’s who You are, It’s who You are. And I’m loved by You. It’s who I am, it’s who I am, it’s who I am. You are perfect in all of your ways!”
So what does this mean to you today? A few things.
- Our God is both a reigning deity and a loving Father. He rules as a Lord and loves as a Father at the same time.
- God wants to bless us richly. He made plans for us before the world began. His plans contain His best. He did not make plans for us to fail. He made plans for us to succeed. He made plans for us to leave a mark in this world that will not be easily erased.
- As a sovereign God and ruling King, God established parameters and standards of conduct. As a loving and caring Heavenly Father, He shares those parameters and standards of conduct in a loving way. He is not Lording over us with an iron hand. No, as a Father He lovingly warns us to stay away from the things that will keep us from His best and to give our attention to the things that will keep us on the path He planned for us to walk down.
- It is true that God has given Born-Again believers power from on-high. However, having power without parameters is dangerous. The Father has given us power, but He has also given us standards of conduct. Maintaining God’s standards keep us flowing in His grace. As we flow in His grace we become conduits of His power.
- In the first psalm we have clear instructions on what to do and what not to do. Our God is so much of a loving Father that He goes out of His way to teach us how to live in His Blessing. He wants us to get to the last line in Psalm 1:3, where “Everything we do prospers”. But in order to do so, we must heed the counsel of verses 1 and 2, where God tells us to abstain from certain activity and influences, and to give our full attention to the Word of God day and night.
- Our God is a Good, Good Father. As His child you should enter this day trusting His plans, believing His love, and embracing His grace.
Closing Confession: Father, this is a season of refined focus for me. I bring my life into focus in 2016 by giving my attention to Your Word and by aligning my conduct with Your ways. You are the only true God. You sit on the circle of the earth. You are the King of kings and Lord of lords. There are no other gods but You. While I worship You as my Lord and God, I also appreciate You as my Father. You love me with an everlasting love. You made plans for me before the world began. You go out of Your way to bless me richly. Thank You Father. You’re a Good, Good Father. It’s who You are. And I’m loved by You. It’s who I am. So as I enter this day I embrace Your plans, Your love, Your grace and Your power. My Good, Good Father goes with me today and every day. I am obedient to Him in all my ways. That’s why everything I do is successful! I declare this by faith! In Jesus’ name. Amen.
This is Today’s Word! Apply it and Prosper.