Today we continue our series entitled, “God Loves You”, under the overall theme for the year of, “Supernatural Manifestation.” Yesterday we looked at 1 John 4:16,17 and Galatians 5:6, with an emphasis on faith that works by love. Today we will continue to flow in the same vein.
The Apostle John said:
And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
(1 John 4:16, 17 KJV)
The Apostle Paul said:
For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth anything, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.
(Gal 5:6 KJV)
So what does this mean to you today? A few things.
1. For years I thought Galatians 5:6 (faith works by love) meant that my faith will work when I love God and other people. Meaning, that if I am not operating in love towards God or others, my faith will fail. However, the entire letter to the church in Galatia is about human effort (the Law) vs. God’s effort (grace). So, in context, Paul is not putting a requirement on you — to make sure your upward love towards God and outward love towards man is perfect — before your faith will work. No, Paul’s emphasis is on God and not us. Therefore, Paul must mean that faith works when we are convinced that God loves us!
2. God’s motivation to bless you is His love, NOT your faith. What caused God to make plans for you, to seek you out, to save you, and to then use you for His glory, is His LOVE and GRACE, not your faith or perfection.
3. When you are convinced God loves you, it puts you in a position to receive from Him. The revelation of God’s love is what opens your heart to His best.
4. When you are convinced God loves you, it is easier for you to believe. Because at that point you are believing God and what He wants to do in your life because He loves you, not because you are perfect.
5. If you attempt to live by faith without embracing God’s love in your heart, you will attempt to live by faith with your head. Many people attempt to live by faith mentally, without God’s love in their heart. These people spent lots of time praying for things, making confessions, declaring this-and-that, but to no avail, because faith does not work from your head, faith works from your heart.
6. Basing God’s goodness on His love for you and NOT your perfection towards Him is paramount, because If you don’t, you are putting yourself in a terrible position. As you live life, you will inevitably make mistakes. When you do, if your relationship with God is not rooted in His love towards you, you will think you have disqualified yourself from God’s best. God’s best will still be available to you by His unearned grace, because of His love and not your perfection, but you won’t pursue it (by faith), because of your flaws. Unfortunately, many believers live this way and it causes them to live beneath God’s best. This is why God wants you to see yourself JUST LIKE JESUS in this world — despite your flaws!
Closing Confession: Father, this is a year of Great Victory for me. The revelation of Your love for me is changing me from the inside-out. You loved me while I was yet a sinner. You made plans for me before the foundations of the world. You planned to blessed me, even though You already knew all the mistakes I was going to make. You looked at my life in advance — faults, failures, flaws and all — and You destined me for Your purpose anyway. Even when I am faithless, You have promised to be faithful to me. So I will not allow the devil to cause me to feel condemned anymore. The devil comes to condemn me because of my mistakes, but the Holy Spirit convicts me of the righteousness Christ Jesus died to give me. So I embrace Your grace, I receive Your love, and I boldly declare, “As Jesus is, so am I, in this world!” I declare this by faith. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
This is Today’s Word! Apply it and Prosper.