UPDATE: Isabella finally heard from her family in Dominica via text message yesterday. They still can’t make any phone calls and they have no electricity, but the main thing is that they are alive and healthy. To God be the glory! Thank you all for your prayers. Now, let’s continue to pray for all who have been impacted by the recent hurricanes and the earthquake in Mexico. People have a long road of recovery ahead of them. Let’s pray and let’s seek God for ways to help them.
Today we continue our series, “As Jesus Is”, under the banner of the overall series for the year, “Supernatural Manifestation.” We have been looking at 1 John 4:16,17 for a couple of months now. I have been adding other passages to it. Right now we are looking at 1 John 4:16,17 and Philippians 2. Let’s get to it.
The Apostle John said:
And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
(1 John 4:16, 17 KJV)
The Apostle Paul said:
“Think about what we have in Christ: the encouragement he has brought us, the comfort of his love, our sharing in his Spirit, and the mercy and kindness he has shown us. If you enjoy these blessings, then do what will make my joy complete: Agree with each other, and show your love for each other. Be united in your goals and in the way you think. In whatever you do, don’t let selfishness or pride be your guide. Be humble, and honor others more than yourselves. Don’t be interested only in your own life, but care about the lives of others too.
In your life together, think the way Christ Jesus thought. He was like God in every way, but he did not think that his being equal with God was something to use for his own benefit. Instead, he gave up everything, even his place with God. He accepted the role of a servant, appearing in human form.
During his life as a man, he humbled himself by being fully obedient to God, even when that caused his death—death on a cross. So God raised him up to the most important place and gave him the name that is greater than any other name.”
(Philippians 2:1-9 ERV)
Today I will focus in on this statement, “Agree with each other, and show your love for each other.”
So what does this mean to you today? A few things.
- I have been teaching on being ONE with God for months. If you God is ONE with you and you know you are ONE with Him, then people should SEE Him in both your character and conduct. The love of God has come TO you. The more you die to sin, self and selfishness, the more the love of God can flow THROUGH you for all the world to see. This is how we properly RE-Present Jesus in this world.
- While teaching us to have the “Mind of Christ”, Paul said, “Agree with each other, and show your love for each other.” The United States of America is currently in (arguably) one of the most divisive seasons we, as nation, have endured since the 1960s. Recent remarks by the President have ignited tensions in ways that could have, and should have been avoided. But the climate being what it is, this is a time for Christ to shine. Instead of being divisive, people should see Godly unity in us. Instead of spewing hatred, the world should see, hear and feel Godly love in us. Light does it’s best work in the dark. This is the time for you to shine!
- When you develop a Godly mindset, you position yourself to be a free-flowing conduit of God’s love. We surely need more of those in today’s society. Let’s determine to demonstrate the love of God in the middle of hate and the unifying power of God in the middle of divisive rhetoric.
- Paul made it clear that when we develop the “Mind of Christ”, it will be evident in the way we treat others. Don’t just talk about love, demonstrate it daily!
- The thoughts of God IN a person create a mindset that makes it easy for the love of God to flow through that person.
- We learn two key aspects of the “Mind of Christ” in today’s text: unity and love. Let’s enter this day determined to operate in both.
- When you are ONE with God, it means you are ONE in both thought and deed. You demonstrate you have the “Mind of Christ”, when you operate the way Jesus operated. As Jesus is, so are you, in this world!
Closing Confession: Father, this is a year of Great Victory for me. I am ONE with You and and You are ONE with me. I am IN Christ and Christ is IN me. I am IN Your Kingdom and Your Kingdom is IN me. Therefore, I demonstrate Your love and unity daily, because I develop Your mindset. I think like You. I act like You. I talk like You. I unify like You unified. I demonstrate what You demonstrated. I am a walking/talking representation of You on this planet! As Jesus is, so am I, in this world! I declare this by faith. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
This is Today’s Word! Apply it and Prosper.