Quick Missions Update: Our schools in the Dominican Republic are in full-swing for the new year. A special thanks to all our partners and supporters, for helping us provide 150 children a Christ-based education. If you would like to donate, please visit: Ripministries.org/donate
Today we continue our series, “As Jesus Is”, under the banner of the overall series for the year, “Supernatural Manifestation.” We have been looking at 1 John 4:16,17 for a couple of months now. I have been adding other passages to it. Right now we are looking at 1 John 4:16,17 and Philippians 2. Let’s get to it.
The Apostle John said:
And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
(1 John 4:16, 17 KJV)
The Apostle Paul said:
“Think about what we have in Christ: the encouragement he has brought us, the comfort of his love, our sharing in his Spirit, and the mercy and kindness he has shown us. If you enjoy these blessings, then do what will make my joy complete: Agree with each other, and show your love for each other. Be united in your goals and in the way you think. In whatever you do, don’t let selfishness or pride be your guide. Be humble, and honor others more than yourselves. Don’t be interested only in your own life, but care about the lives of others too.
In your life together, think the way Christ Jesus thought. He was like God in every way, but he did not think that his being equal with God was something to use for his own benefit. Instead, he gave up everything, even his place with God. He accepted the role of a servant, appearing in human form.
During his life as a man, he humbled himself by being fully obedient to God, even when that caused his death—death on a cross. So God raised him up to the most important place and gave him the name that is greater than any other name.”
(Philippians 2:1-9 ERV)
Today I will focus in on this statement, “Don’t be interested only in your own life, but care about the lives of others too.”
So what does this mean to you today? A few things.
- Most people are not going to come to God unless they SEE God in another human. God is looking to show the world what He is like, and He is looking to do it through YOU! You are His proof. You are His evidence. Your life is supposed to make the case for His existence. This is why it is critically important that you see yourself “As Jesus is, in this world”, and that you develop in God’s love. People are not drawn to God through selfishness. People are drawn to God through selfless and unconditional love.
- God is love. Love gives. Love is not selfish. Love is always focused on others. This means God is always focused on us, not Himself. And since He lives IN us, He expects us to live the same way. When you are selfish, you are not demonstrating the character of Christ.
- The Bible says, “Don’t be interested only in your own life, but care about the lives of others too.” If you can see others suffering and it doesn’t bother you, if you can see your brother or sister hurting and it does not touch your heart in any way, then there is WAY TOO MUCH of you in the way. God cannot flow through you, because you have not died to self. When you die to self, your passion for God is validated by your compassion for men.
- God does not just want to live in heaven. He wants to live in you! You are a reflection of who He is in the earth. This is why you can’t be selfish. God is not selfish.
- When you develop the mind of Christ, you get up every morning seeking for ways to BE a blessing in this world. You know you are blessed. You know you are prosperous. You know God’s favor is on your life. And you also know that the purpose of your prosperity is evangelism! God blesses you, so that He can, in turn, bless others THROUGH you! This is why you can’t just be focused on yourself. If you are, God has no reason to bless you. The blessing God has for you FAR EXCEEDS the needs of your family.
- God is too big a God, and His blessing is too powerful of a blessing, for Him just to be focused on YOU and your family. The day you open your heart to BEING a blessing to others, will be the day the favor of God is open to you and your family. This is why it is critical to develop the mind of Christ; to see yourself “As Jesus is, in this world!”
Closing Confession: Father, this is a year of Great Victory for me. I am blessed TO BE a blessing. You favor me and bless me beyond measure. But You don’t just do it for me and my household. You bless us richly, so that we can in turn BE a conduit of Your blessing in the earth. I don’t live my life focused on just me and mine. I live my life focused on BEING a blessing in this world. I have the mind of Christ. I think like You Father. I am the one with the answers. I am the answer to this world’s problems. I am the change people are looking for. Because it’s really NOT me. It’s You, living IN me! That’s why I boldly declare: As Jesus is, so am I, in this world! I declare this by faith. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
This is Today’s Word! Apply it and Prosper.