Today we continue our series entitled, “Back to the Bible,” with Part 41. We have been looking at Psalm 119. Let’s continue to walk through this amazing psalm. We are reading from The Passion Bible Translation.
(v.137) Lord, your judgments reveal your righteousness, and your verdicts are always fair.
(v.138) The motive behind your every word is pure, and your teachings are remarkably faithful and true.
(v.139) I’ve been consumed with a furious passion to do what’s right, all because of the way my enemies disrespect your laws.
(v.142) Your righteousness has no end; it is everlasting, and your rules are perfectly fair.
So what does this mean to you today? A few things.
- God’s judgements are true, His precepts are bindings, and His ways are established. In a world that is increasingly open to anything and everything, it is refreshing to find truth in God’s Word. It may not be popular today, but as Christians we believe in absolute truth.
- Some claim it is arrogant to think that Jesus is the only way to salvation or everlasting life. Their position is reasonable and persuasive. There are so many different belief systems and so many thoughts concerning this in the world, that logic would dictate that there can’t be a single way. But for those of us who have discovered Jesus, we know He is the truth, He is the way, and He is the life. It may be easy today to say, “everything goes,” and “everyone can find their own way to heaven and it does not have to be through Jesus,” but that is an appeal to generalism and populism. This is why God’s government is not a democracy. In a democracy the majority gets to establish the rules. In a Kingdom the King is sovereign. God’s system is not based on the popular vote. God is the King. His ways are set. His truth shall stand forever. People may not like the truth, but their dislike does not change it. As believers, not only should we embrace God’s truth, but we should find joy in it. David revelled in God’s righteousness and truth. There is an amazing peace in knowing that you have discovered the way that is right, true and holy.
- Many assume world religions to be fundamentally the same and superficially different. However, this is not true. There is no general consensus all in all religions. Religions are fundamentally exclusive. Those who do not espouse the beliefs of a religion are not part of it. Why? Because truth is exclusive. Truth is valuable. Truth is life-changing. There is an amazing internal peace you find when you discover valid truth.
- In today’s society truth is being devalued. People don’t want to ascribe to the notion of absolute truth, so they swing the pendulum to in the other direction and they attempt to accept everything as truth. If everything is true, then nothing is. When you say, “I do,” to the person you are marrying, you are also saying, “I don’t,” to everyone else. When you make a propositional statement that something is true you are also, at the same time, acknowledging that something else is false. When you accept Jesus as truth and the Bible make it clear that He is the ONLY way to eternal life, then you are also accepting the exclusivity of this truth. You cannot be convinced of Jesus and open to other options. Nor should you be ashamed of the exclusivity of the Gospel.
- If you ask most people who are non-Christian how they attain eternal life, or make it to paradise, they will say tell you that you have to be a good person, that your good has to outweigh your bad, and that you have to be a positive force in this world. This is a deeds-based path to eternal life. The thought is that your good deeds must cover up your bad deeds. The way some say it, is that your karma has to be paid and when you finally pay it, you attain nirvana. Every worldview except the Judeo-Christian worldview requires you to earn your salvation. Salvation, for them, is not a gift. They are basically the beneficiaries of what they have earned. Salvation, for them, is payment for their works. For us, that could not be further from the TRUTH. For us, salvation is a free gift. It was earned, but it was not earned by us. It was earned by Jesus. Jesus paid a price we could not pay for a debt He did not owe. Jesus died for us. Salvation is then offered to us for FREE. It is a free gift that came at a high cost and it does require a high cost to receive it. It cost Jesus His life and it costs us our hearts. This is the truth we find in God’s Word. This is the truth this world wants to stifle. But they can’t. We will preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ from now ‘till Jesus returns. Truth is a person. His name is Jesus! Never be ashamed of it!
Father, this is a season of expectation for me. I expect to walk in Your best, because I am determined to walk in Your ways. Your Word is true. Your precepts are binding. Your path is true life. Jesus is THE way, THE truth, and THE Life. No man can come to You, except through Your Son, Jesus. I have accepted Jesus as my Lord. I am in Christ and Christ is in me. I am in the truth and the truth is in me. I am in Your Kingdom and Your Kingdom is in me. So live everyday as an Ambassador of Your Kingdom and as an emissary of Your truth! I am not ashamed of the Gospel for it is the power of God unto salvation for everyone who believes in Jesus! I declare this by faith. In Jesus’ name, Amen!
This is Today’s Word. Apply it and prosper!