This morning we continue our series entitled, “Power of Fellowship.” Yesterday I talked about the Holy Spirit being our guide for life. God made plans for us before the world began and there is no way for us to discover those plans without revelation from God Himself. This is why God gave us His Spirit. God’s Spirit reveals to us God’s will for our lives and He then leads, guides and directs us on a daily basis in order for us to become the men/women God destined us to be. This being the case, once we are Born-Again and filled with the Holy Spirit, we should NEVER attempt to live our lives without Him or make decisions without consulting Him.
I will use Jesus as our example this morning. Jesus did not do anything without hearing from the Father, by His Spirit. Jesus said, “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself” (John 5:19 New International Version). The Passion Bible Translation of that same passage reads, “I speak to you timeless truth. The Son is not able to do anything from himself or through my own initiative.” Think about this statement for a minute. This is Jesus speaking. The Son of God (who came as the son of man, so that the sons of men could become the sons of God), said that He could not do a thing without the Father. Jesud did nothing of His own initiative. He consulted with the Father for everything. He allowed the Holy Spirit to guide Him down the road to His destiny, even when that meant dealing with unpleasant people and challenging circumstances. Guess what? This is exactly the way we are supposed to live.
So what does this mean to you today? A few things.
1. Your life is not your own (1 Cor 6:19). If you are Born-Again you were bought with a price. Jesus redeemed you with His own blood. The life that you now live, you are supposed to live FOR Him and BY Him!
2. I know people who change jobs and/or move to a different city without consulting with God. This is crazy if you are Born-Again. If you believe God planned for your arrival, then you must believe the Holy Spirit has already been to God’s best version of your future. So why would you make a decision without consulting Him? If you make the decision without Him, you are going to have to live with the consequences and it will not be God’s fault. But if you allow yourself to be LED of the Holy Spirit you will be able to lean on God to deal with the consequences of the decision He clearly LED you to make. If God told you to do it, then God is obligated to keep you through it. If you make the decision without Him, you will reap what you have sown.
3. I know people who make major decisions — decisions that will impact where they live, where their children will go to school, where their family will attend church, and who gets to speak into their lives — and when I ask them if God told them to do it, they say, “I don’t know.” This is crazy and dangerous. God did not give you His Spirit so you can continue to live your life and make decisions without Him. We are called and commanded to spend time with God so we can learn His voice and listen to the Holy Spirit in ALL things.
4. I know people who make decisions based mainly upon money. Money is an excellent servant, but it makes for a poor master. Don’t ever allow the pursuit of money to be the driving force behind what you do. If you follow God instead of following money, God will see to it that the money follows you (Mat 6:33). If you follow money instead of following God, you may make the money, but lose yourself and your destiny in the process. Simply put, money is a terrible reason to make a decision. Follow God. He has millions of ways to get you millions of dollars. God can get you the money. Trust Him!
5. God made you a free moral agent. This means you have the ability to make decisions without Him. I am sure you have lots of experience doing that. You can do whatever you want. God is not going to force you to listen to His Spirit. But if you willingly submit to God in ALL your ways, you will live a life that far exceeds anything you could have ever imagined (Eph 3:20. I am a witness. God’s plans are much better than yours. So stop making decisions with Him. Do whatever the Holy Spirit leads you to do, however He leads you to do it, whether it makes sense to you or not, and one day you will wake up to realize that you are living an amazing life. It is the life God planned for you before the world began!
Declaration of Faith:
Father, my life is not my own. I was bought with a price. That price was the Blood of Your Son, Jesus the Christ, my Savior and Lord! Jesus is the Lord of my life. This means I do not make decisions without You. Like Jesus, I realize that I can do NOTHING without my heavenly Father. So I don’t even try. I already have experience making decisions on my own. I know what it is like to be my own boss and to be the captain of my own ship, charting my own course. I declare that those days are over. I do nothing without You! I acknowledge You in ALL my ways. You direct my path by Your Spirit. Living this way I get to become the best version of myself. It is the life You destined me to live and it is far beyond anything I could have ever imagined on my own. I declare this by faith. In Jesus’ name, Amen!
This is Today’s Word. Apply it and prosper!